Most readers will remember the case of the 2 Dannies, who were dragged through the courts for five years for daring to quote (accurately) from the qu’ran. All this came about because the Victorian Parliament passed the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act, which in effect is a law against blasphemy.
On May 2007 13:58 AIM prepared a Submission so readers could lobby their MPs.
Here’s an extract:
Everyone in Australia has the right to Freedom of Speech, unless that speech incites violence or racial hatred. Religions and belief systems should be open to scrutiny, even if it offends the sensibilities of those holding such beliefs. Criticising a religion is not racist; Islam is not a race, and if the Qu’ran contains objectionable racist sections and urges its followers to kill non-Muslims, well this should be exposed in the public interest.
Unfortunately, the notorious Racial and Religious Tolerance Act has undermined our freedom to speak freely on such matters, and the Islamists who make predatory use of our legal system are the main instigators and beneficiaries, as the Act has prevented us from discussing Islam or even reading the Qu’ran.
The main users of the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act have been the Islamic Council of Victoria (ICV), who brought an action against a (then) little-known Christian group, Catch the Fire Ministries. This case illustrated sharply that a secular judge is ill-equipped to adjudicate on religious matters, as Judge Higgins had little understanding of Islam and its text, and, for reasons not fully explained, chose to believe the ICV’s testimony over that of the Pastors, despite both Pastors and their witnesses being experts on Islamic text, quoted the Qu’ran and ahadith accurately and did not misrepresent it. It appears that truth is not a defence, nor was the fact that they specifically invoked their congregation not to hate Muslims but to love and pray for them.
On 21 July 2007, I wrote Victory for Free Speech?:
The case that should never have been taken has finally ended after five long and stressful years. At the start, the Islamic Council of Victoria seemed upbeat about their chances of suppressing free speech. After all, they had good friends in the community who threw their weight behind them. Christian and Jewish supporters rallied round. It seemed they were on to a sure victory.
Daniel Scot and Danny Nalliah - sentenced for telling the truth
The ICV sent some Muslims to a seminar on Islam given by Pastor Daniel Scott. In what seems like a carefully planned strategy, they took him and Pastor Danny Nalliah of Catch the Fire Ministries to VCAT, claiming religious vilification in contravention of s 8 of the RRTA. What did the Pastors do to inspire the ICV to take action against them? Well, they spoke the truth about Islam and quoted (accurately) from the Qu’ran.
Surely you are allowed to state what is in a religion’s theology? Apparently not - not where Islam is concerned.
Judge Michael Higgins, himself no scholar of Islam, found that the Pastors had breached the Act. They successfully appealed to the Court of Appeal, who sent the case back to VCAT for a re-hearing, by a different judge. At VCAT, the parties agreed to mediation, where the matter was resolved.
An official joint public statement said:-
Notwithstanding their differing views about the merits of the complaint made by the ICV, each of the ICV, Catch The Fire Ministries, Pastor Scot and Pastor Nalliah affirm and recognise the following:
1) the dignity and worth of every human being, irrespective of their religious faith, or the absence of religious faith;
2) the rights of each other, their communities, and all persons, to adhere to and express their own religious beliefs and to conduct their lives consistently with those beliefs;
3) the rights of each other, their communities and all persons, within the limits provided for by law, to robustly debate religion, including the right to criticise the religious belief of another, in a free, open and democratic society;
4) the value of friendship, respect and co-operation between Christians, Muslims and all people of other faiths; and
5) the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act forms part of the law of Victoria to which the rights referred to in paragraph 3 above are subject.
Does that mean we can now tell people what Islam really says rather than repeating the Religion of Peace mantra? If so, free speech is the victor and those who try to suppress truth are the vanquished.
The agreement affirms -
• each human being has dignity and worth.
• everyone can live according to their beliefs.
• we can robustly debate, even criticise, other religions.
• the value of respect between all people of faith.
• the Act forms part of Victorian law.
Fine words, but are they sincere? Remember, it’s OK to practice deceit if it benefits Islam. Sadly, Islam does not affirm any of the first 4 beliefs.
We all know it is dangerous to critcise Islam. Look at the Danish cartoons, Theo van Gogh, the violent reactions to the knighting of Salman Rushdie and many other examples - CAIR in America, a Hamas front group to which ICV is linked, has launched several lawsuits against those who speak the truth about Islam. Plus, any honest critique of Islam and what it says is labelled “hate speech” or “Islamophobia”.
The Qu’ran teaches not to take Jews and Christians as friends and that non-Muslims are the worst of people, so where’s the respect there? 5:51
But point 5 I can agree with. Yes, the Act does indeed form part of Victorian law, more’s the pity!
The 2 Dannies have never wavered in standing for truth, despite the enormous toll the trial took on them. And now Danny Nalliah is forming a new political party:
Dear fellow Australians,
It is with great joy and excitement that we announce the formation of a new political party, RISE UP AUSTRALIA PARTY (Keep Australia Australian) a party for all people who embrace Australia as home. This Party is totally committed to protecting the Australian way of life and our Judeo-Christian Heritage upon which Australia was founded.
As Chairman of Rise Up Australia Party I assure you that we on the Board of Directors are totally committed to the protecting of Australia from Multiculturalism. We have all seen the negative effects of Multiculturalism in Europe. Recently the leaders of Germany and the UK have stated clearly that Multiculturalism has failed. Rather than uniting the country under one flag, it has had the completely opposite effect. Multiculturalism has actually divided their nations, and has let people build ethnic enclaves within their countries.
Ever since I called Australia home I have watched carefully how the left-wing secular movements in Australia have been pushing their agendas through the parliamentary system and taking Australia away from its Judeo-Christian foundations. These foundations are what have made Australia such a great democracy in which to live. If we remove those foundations, we might surely follow the path of Europe. We might see the introduction of Islamic Sharia law, which is not at all compatible with democracy, freedom and the Australian way of life.
Following are some of the aims we as a Party would like to achieve in the next 10-20 years.
1. Protect freedom of speech.
2. Establish full employment and fair wages; support/re-establish manufacturing industries in Australia.
3. Reduce the cost of living by limiting the size of government and limiting the levels of taxation, with the least possible intrusion of governments into the lives of individuals and businesses.
4. Reaffirm our Constitutional right to freedom of religion.
5. Recognise and affirm our Judeo-Christian heritage.
6. No religion or religious practices are to be forced upon another
7. Faith-based schools are to have the right to employ people of their choice.
8. Schools to have faith-based chaplains.
9. School curriculums to include the teaching of the history of Western
civilization and our Judeo-Christian heritage.
10. Improve discipline in our schools.
11. Protect the traditional family unit - father, mother, and children.
12. Parents have the right to discipline their children, within sensible historical, non-abusive guidelines.
13. Protect children from homosexuality as it creates health problems. Promote children's rights - children have the right to have both male and female role models as parents (father and mother).
14. We wish to make abortion history by providing those social conditions that support women in their lives to become fulfilled and not being forced into situations where they feel there is no option but to have an abortion.
15. Protect Australia from multiculturalism. People who live in Australia should become Australian - we are multi-ethnic, not multi-cultural. We do not advocate homogenising - immigrants are free to celebrate their own backgrounds, but must respect the Australian culture. We are opposed to a dual legal system, i.e. we oppose introduction of Sharia law in Australia. We will educate people about the implications of radical Islamic teaching. We advocate no Centrelink benefits for polygamists.
16. All boats trying to enter Australian waters by illegal means should be stopped to preserve the lives put at risk by people smugglers.
17. Protect the environment, as God gave it to mankind to look after.
18. We support the right for Israel to exist with Jerusalem as its undivided capital.
19. All elected Members of Parliament for RUA Party are encouraged to donate a percentage of their salary to the poor and the needy.
20. While we recognise the Aboriginal people as the first people of Australia, we encourage them to accept our Government's apology and invite them to issue a statement of thanks for the good that the British heritage has brought to our nation.
I believe most people know that we won't run away from a fight, as we carried a major national court case for 5 years, which was brought against us by the Islamic Council of Victoria, and we saw a great victory for Freedom of Speech & Freedom of Religion in 2007. We are ready for a 20 year fight to take back Australia and keep it Australian.
Yes, my dear friends, it is time for us to stand up for our country right now. If we do not protect our Australian culture now while we still can, there will be nothing left of it for our grandchildren. Let's be proud and patriotic about our nation of Australia.
Rise Up Australia Party is currently looking to recruit 500+ members ASAP to register the party with the Australian electoral commission and contest the next federal election. We would love to see you join the party. Please also indicate your interest to stand as a candidate and
make a difference.
There is a special 50% discount on membership fees until 31st July 2011.
We cannot and must not let the extreme left parties, such as the Greens, control the balance of power. When elected, we assure you to fulfil the promises to the electorate and the nation to the best of our ability. As a Minister of the Gospel, I am first accountable to God, then to man. I
believe and pray that this will keep me honest and truthful in the sight of God and man. (source)
Even if you are not a Christian, I am sure you agree that any party that is willing to confront the secular progressives, who want to destroy our society and impose a totalitarian utopia, is worth supporting.
Also remember that Christians uphold the separation of Church and State, which has enabled free and democratic societies to flourish.
If you live in Melbourne you will have the opportunity to meet with the Rise Up Australia Party National Executive at the Catch The Fire Apostolic Centre at 23 Melverton Dr in Hallam. Mel 96:G2. Pr Daniel will be sharing the vision of RUA Political Party at the 9.30am & 6.30pm worship services on this Sunday 12th June.
Let’s salute this warrior for truth, Danny Nalliah, and wish him great success with his Rise Up Australia Party!